Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2000 15:54:04 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vaio vs Portege plus modems

up@3.am probably said:
> Toshiba Portege 3110CT (about $500-$600 cheaper)
> Sony Vaio Z505HE
>
> My main concern at this point is the modem.  Neither of their websites
> indicate whether the built-in modem is a Winmodem or not, nor could I find
> a conclusion in the archives of this list.

All of the Z505s have winmodems, to my knowledge. I don't know about
the Toshiba. I'm informed by a friend that the 7020CT has a lucent
winmodem.

I think you're going to have trouble finding a newer laptop with a
real modem (My Sony 505TR has one, bit that isn't particularly new).

> Can anyone tell me from experience if this is the case?
> if not, recommended alternatives?

Get a PCMCIA modem. You'll get better performance from it anyway.

P.

--
pir                  pir@pir.net                    pir@net.tufts.edu