Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2018 00:07:42 +0100
From:      "D. Ebdrup" <debdrup@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cirrus-CI: Free FreeBSD CI testing for open-source projects

On 12/19/18, Jan Beich <jbeich@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu@freebsd.org> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 03:03 Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Cirrus Labs has just released support for FreeBSD on their CI service.
>>> And
>>> they've made it free for OSS!  Cirrus-CI is a cloud-based CI system for
>>> cloud-hosted software, much like Travis-CI, Appveyor, Circle-CI, etc.
>>> But
>>> it's the first* such system to support FreeBSD with no weird hacks
>>> required.  It also runs each test in a full VM, so you can mount
>>> filesystems, create jails, etc.  The free tier supports runs on a dual
>>> CPU
>>> VM with 4GB of RAM.  But if that's not enough, you can cheaply configure
>>> Cirrus to use a custom VM in Google Cloud (gcp account required; cheap
>>> but
>>> not free).
>>>
>>> https://cirrus-ci.org/guide/FreeBSD/
>>

>> This is really an exciting news. Ed and I started a wiki page for
>> tracking
>> the efforts we put or wanted to add FreeBSD CI for the software widely
>> used:
>>
>> https://wiki.freebsd.org/HostedCI
>
> Why Chromium? Before hooking CI for FreeBSD it needs to build without
> patches but there was no upstreaming activity for years.
>
> https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/forum/#!searchin/chromium-reviews/freebsd|sort:date
> https://cs.chromium.org/search/?q=OS_FREEBSD

Another way to see the result of upstream making a practice out of not
accepting patches is to look at the files directory of the Chromium
port as seen on [1], especially when put up against an upstream
project which does accept patches as seen on [2].

[1]: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/chromium/files
[2]: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/www/firefox/files/
--
Daniel Ebdrup aka. D. Ebdrup.