Date:      Sat, 9 Dec 2000 19:50:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice Installation lossage (Was: Linux Emulator seems to be faulty)

On Sat, 9 Dec 2000, Mike Meyer wrote:
Dear Mike.

Today I found out, that the curoius thing seems to be regarded to
the usage of shells! I prefer the ksh/bash/sh shells and they
mess up the installation. i have some users using csh on our server
and, voila, I could do a full user-install. But changing my shell
does not have any effect, it seems to be a more tricky thing on
the other accounts.
I can assure the following: using bash turns myself into loosing hairs,
using csh offers me a base installation, but the per-user installation
fails on some accounts, on others it works great.

Hope someone find the mistake in the shellskript and do the trick of bugfixing

Oliver
:>O. Hartmann <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de> types:
:>> Dear Sirs.
:>>
:>> I installed StarOffice now successfully on several machines - but the
:>> target machines were freshly installed. I have still trouble installing
:>> StarOffice 5.2 on the main server and the error seems really to be curious.
:>>
:>> After the download the installationscript starts extraction and after
:>> determining the glibc-version of the Linux emulation (I got the newest
:>> stuff from the ports now) I receive an error message like this:
:>>
:>> could not find shared library libvos1GCC.so
:>>
:>> Nnormally, this library resides in /usr/local/office52/program. Obviously
:>> is the installation routine seeking for this lib before it is installed.
:>> How does it come? I search the whole tree for another lib like this bit
:>> there is no one else.
:>>
:>> It seems that something went wrong with my installation on the main server,
:>> but I can not simply reinstall all the stuff, so I have to look for the
:>> mistake by hand.
:>>
:>> Has anybody ideas how to track down the problem or is this problem known?
:>
:>I've seen this one myself. The StarOffice installation process is
:>dearchiving files in /tmp, then attempting to run using those files as
:>shared libraries. For some (unknown) reason, the dynamic linking fails
:>on some systems. It's hard to track down beyond that, because the
:>(*)&&(^% StarOffice installation process cleans up all the files you
:>need to diagnose it after the failure.
:>
:>Anyway, the workaround is to make a package on one of the machines
:>you've got it installed on properly, then install the package. You can
:>then run ${PREFIX}/office52/program/soffice to do the per-user
:>installation process.
:>
:>	<mike
:>--
:>Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
:>Independent WWW/Unix/FreeBSD consultant,	email for more information.
:>

-
MfG
O. Hartmann