Date:      Thu, 05 Jan 1995 01:25:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        ROSSILEON@unisi.it
Cc:        QUESTIONS@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TECHINCAL QUESTIONS

>    If I run locally on the client an application that uses Internet (such as
>    Fetch or Mosaic), the server receives as caller name: client.dummy.xx or
>    server.dummy.xx?

It receives the client name.  Machines at the end of point-to-point
links are supposed to have valid IP addresses/names like any machine
hooked directly to your ethernet.  The fact that they take another hop
to get onto the wire doesn't disqualify them from being full network
nodes in their own right.

>    If someone sends mail or make FTP to client.dummy.xx when it is connected
>    to a remote node what happens? Note that client.dummy.xx is not always

It gets delivered, I guess!

> 3) Can a personal computer (such as a Macintosh or a PC running Windows)
>    connected to the server VIA MODEM using COMMUTATE (not dedicated) lines ru
>    locally a program that uses Internet (such as Fetch or Mosaic)?

Uh.  Yes!  I thought this was obvious?

						Jordan