Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 08:26:15 +0200
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to use softupdates on a single partition

Hi,
Let's imagine I have a box with 4.x.x FreeBSD with only the / partition.
How I can use SOFTUPDATES on it ? Some times ago it worked to something like :

sync;sync;sync ...
tuefs -n enable /dev/rda0s1a
reboot -n

It was not beautifull but it worked :-)
Now the "r-device are not any longer used ( I think :-).
So also trying booting in single user mode it always complain about the fs
is in use...

Uhm... The only way, I have found,  is to boot with  the repair CD and
mount the fs (after copying some file here and there for making the right
device) and then tune it.
But it is a very annoying process...

So... any simpler method ?

And why not to use softupdates as an option in installing process ?

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it