Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:47:57 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        "Salvo Bartolotta" <bartequi@neomedia.it>, "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" <root@pukruppa.de>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark

The problem with BOTH of these paragraphs is that they are attempting to
formulate a general hypothesis that's applicable across all types of
industries
and all types of inventors.

The little guy in his garage making a new invention != the large corporate
research team.

Some problems can only be addressed by the large corporate teams and others
can only be addressed by the little guy in his garage, still other problems
can
be addressed by both teams.

You can certainly make a case that the little guy in his garage is as much
interested in fame and fortune as he is in money - and in fact fame and
fortune
for him is often even more valuable and much easier for him to use to get
money.
(consulting fees, etc.)

But I think also that you can equally make the case that the large research
team
MUST be well-funded, and in fact the areas that those teams are the most good
are
areas where just the raw materials for the experiments alone cost thousands or
hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The patent system is really designed for the large research teams and
corporations
because they have the legal muscle to defend patent infringements whereas the
small inventor usually can't.  But of course, the small inventor often
benefits
from a patent infringement because the big company doing the infringing is
just
marketing the hell out of his device for him, and he can simply wait and if
the
invention becomes successful, then he can usually get a quiet out-of-court
settlement
or even get hired on by the big company.  The big companies, on the other
hand,
definitely don't benefit from patent infringement of their patents.

>> > It is about this point that I disagree.  In general, IMO Science
>should be
>> > patent-free.
>>
>> That's just not a reasonable view of how the world works. For example,
>> the entire field of medicine would come to an almost complete
>> standstill without patents. HUGE amounts of money are spent developing
>> drugs and devices to be patented.
>
>Reality check: Even *huger* amounts of money are being spent on legal
>budgets to defend those patents.  Most drug companies spend much more
>on their legal fees than on research.

I think this is a great simplification of the drug industries legal problems.

Today, if someone takes a drug and gets an upset stomach as a side effect they
are
immediately on the phone with their lawyer suing for malpractice.  Not only
that but the drug industry has to spend a huge amount of money getting new
products through the FDA approval process.  Then to top it off the insurance
companies are pressuring their customers to substitute Generic drugs for name
brand drugs as much as possible.  So you get a situation where the drug
companies
end up having 2 ways to make money.  In one class are the companies that make
their
money by spending a lot of money on developing new drugs then patent them then
burn up part of the patent time getting the thing past the approval processes,
these folks have a narrow window in which to make money.  In the other class
are
the companies that as soon as the patents expire they run out and manufacture
other's drugs in mass quantities and undercut them.

There is a reason that you can buy pharmaceuticals cheap in Mexico and carry
them across the border and see the same drug selling for 10 times the amount.
All of the retirees in San Diego make their trips to Tijuana every month to
fill
their prescriptions because of this.  You don't have people filing
multi-million
dollar lawsuits in Mexico against the drug companies because the drug they
bought
made their piss turn green or something stupid like that.

>Moreover, some of them classify
>"marketing research" under "research".  The majority of the drugs
>being developed and patented are in fact of little interest to anyone;
>then the drug companies get into the game of marketing their drugs,
>and convincing you, the customer, that you actually need them.

Hey, medicine is Big Business these days, and you can't trust your doctor
anymore.  This is old news, folks.  If you get seriously sick then IMHO
your a fool to swallow what your doctor says without question.  One of the
hottest and most growing fields of knowledge on the Internet today is
medical information.  There's no excuse for not being an informed consumer
in this area.  Today the Internet makes it rediculously easy to check up
on what your doctor is diagnosing.  In fact the newspapers are always
printing stories of the parents with the kid with the mysterious malady
that sees 10 doctors who don't know what's wrong who then key the symptoms
into a search engine and within an hour have 3 possible diagnosis that they
then yard off to the doctor for confirmation.

The real problem is that this makes people squeamish - well wake up folks,
there's a reason your teachers hit you in the head with an eraser to wake
you up in Biology class.  If you don't have any interest in understanding
how your own body functions - well don't come crying to me about it.

>Naturally, where the sufferers of the disease are mainly from poor
>developing countries, there is not much interest in developing drugs
>for them.

Um - most of those "poor developing countries" have a tremendous and
critical overpopulation problem.  A quarter of them are Catholic and
we have a Pope that tells people the Pill is bad, well what the heck
do you expect?  Those countries can't get population control going the
civilized way, so they do it the way the animals do it - they breed like
rabbits and let disease and famine and war kill off the population
periodically.

It's sickening, but your barking up the wrong tree to blame the drug
companies about it.  Check into it and you will find that in these
developing countries that 200 years ago, they didn't have these problems.
They also didn't have a tenth of the population they do today.  Well,
when you overpopulate then you use up your food and what food people
can get is piss-poor nutritionally, and when you have people that are
undernourished then they have little natural resistance to disease.

Instead of throwing medicine at the problem, they need to be handing out
birth control pills for free.  Hell, tomorrow if the Pope were to announce
that the Pill was required of all good Catholics then you would make
one of the single most important steps to getting the population under
control.

Making HIV drugs available for free is just putting salve on the symptoms
it does nothing to address the underlying problems that create the
condition to start with.

>The biggest medical breakthrough in the 20th century was undoubtedly
>Fleming's discovery of antibiotics.  This had nothing to do with
>patent protection.  Nor did Barnard's development of open-heart
>surgery, or any other major medical advance I can think of, in fact.
>There is a good case for arguing that patent restrictions *throttle*
>good research, by making research into improvement of an AIDS drug,
>for instance, too expensive to be affordable to anyone but a very
>well-funded multinational.

Today, just about all major medical problems have already had a fair
bit of research pumped into them.  The easy solutions have mostly been
discovered already.  What remains to be done is the harder and more
expensive work.

There's not an unlimited amount of medical research dollars to go around,
and even if there were, there's not an unlimited number of medical
researchers.
Furthermore, in many people's minds there's some serious questions to be
raised by dumping a lot of funding into solving diseases like lung cancer,
heart disease, AIDS, and things like that.  With those three diseases,
there's already solutions - quit smoking, quit overeating fatty junk foods,
and quit abusing drugs and sharing needles and having casual sex with
prostitutes and anyone else that comes swimming by.  And above all, get
off your ass and start exercising.

>For some unflattering comments on the pharmaceutical industry, see
>http://www.mercola.com/2000/june/24/pharmaceutical_industry.htm

I wouldn't shed any tears over the "poor elderly" here.  In the
US due to the baby boom, in the next 20 years the elderly are going to
wield enormous political power.  We are already starting to see the
results of this, but what's going to happen in the future will make the
flap over the "stealing from the social security pot" look like a
sandbox fight.