Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:39:58 -0400
From:      Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd/wu-ftpd: login prompt delay

Solution:
If we turn off virtual domain support in the Makefile, the login prompt
returns right away.

It seems that stock ftpd, when compiled with virtual support, must be
encountering problmes with nameservice lookups.  Perhaps it tries to do
some kind of lookup on all the IPs aliased to that machine, or maybe the
fact that we don't reverse-resolve the webservers is causing the problem.

Omar

-----Forwarded message from Omar Thameen <omar@clifford.inch.com>-----

We're trying to use the stock ftpd on 2.2 machines running as webservers.
Hence, each server has a number of IPs aliased.

The problem is, on these 2.2 machines, ftpd takes a long time to return
a login prompt, preventing some users from connecting because their
software has too short of a timeout.  I get the "Connected to domain.com"
message immediately, but the login prompt takes a good 20-30 seconds more.

It's not a nameservice issue, because if I install the wu-ftpd port
(which I'm trying to move away from since ftpd seems to be developing
nicely), it returns the login prompt right away.

One thing I have found is that on machines that have only one IP,
the login prompt returns quickly.  It's these webservers with a
number of IP aliases that seems to be the problem.

Any ideas, advice, or commiseration?

Omar

-----End of forwarded message-----