Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 01:50:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: ports/36139: [Maintainer Update] Update lang/nhc98 to 1.12, remove FORBIDDEN

The following reply was made to PR ports/36139; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Simon Marlow" <simonmar@microsoft.com>
To: "Oliver Braun" <obraun@informatik.unibw-muenchen.de>
Cc: "David W. Chapman Jr." <dwcjr@inethouston.net>,
	<freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:43:24 +0100

 > * Simon Marlow <simonmar@microsoft.com> [2002-04-05 10:44]:
 > > Yes, GHC will need compat4x because it uses a pre-built binary to
 > > bootstrap from.  The other alternative is to build a=20
 > -current version of
 > > the bootstrap build, but I'm afraid I don't have a -current=20
 > box on which
 > > to do this.
 >=20
 > If you could tell me what to do, I can try to build it on my=20
 > -current box.
 > Unfortunately the box is behind a NAT server, so I can't give you
 > access.

 You should be able to do it like this:

   - You need to have GHC installed first (maybe use compat4x to
     get the port to build, or install compat4x and the 4.x package).

   - Grab the GHC source dist, unpack it,

   - create the file mk/build.mk with the single line "BIN_DIST=3D1".

   - ./configure && gmake && gmake binary-dist

   - if everything went well, you should have a directory ghc-5.02.2
     hanging off the top level of the source tree, containing=20
     a "binary distribution" ready for packing.  Delete everything
     that isn't also in the contents of=20
 =09
 		ghc-5.02.2-i386-unknown-freebsd-boot.tar.gz

     and pack it up.

   - you're done.  Send me (a link to) the package and I'll put it
     on haskell.org, maybe call it ...-freebsd5-boot.tar.gz.

   - fix the lang/ghc port to select the right bootstrap distribution
     depending on the host OS version.

 Hope I haven't forgotten anything!  Let me know if it doesn't go
 according to plan.

 Cheers,
 	Simon