Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:40:30 -0800
From:      Jim Mock <mij@soupnazi.org>
To:        <chris@burchellfamily.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: How to customize 'pkg_add -r' for mailman

[ Please keep the list Cc'd on replies so if somebody runs into this
again hopefully they'll find the thread in the archives. ]

On Sunday, January 12, 2003, at 03:52  PM, C Burchell wrote:
>> Install the port instead and add --with-mail-gid 65534 to the
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS in the Makefile, or define it on the command line when
>> you compile the port:
>>
>>     make CONFIGURE_ARGS="--with-mail-gid 65534" install
>>
>> That should work, I think.
>>

> I gather this applies if I have the ports locally installed?

Correct.  You need to have the ports tree installed.

> You mean edit the existing Make file in /wherever/ports/are installed?

The Makefile in /usr/ports/mail/mailman.

> How / can I change this if I am installing remotely by using 'pkg_add
> -r' ?

You can't.  The package is just a pre-compiled binary of the port using
the default options specified in the port's Makefile.  Basically, it's
the result of:

     # cd /usr/ports/mail/mailman
     # make package

> Maybe I'm missing something here... I always use pkg_add, which I
> gather automatically installs the port... Is there a way to download
> the port and compile it locally?  If so, can you direct me to the FAQ
> on this?  I have not been able to find anything in my 2nd Ed. copy of
> the FreeBSD Handbook.

pkg_add only deals with binaries.  You'll need to compile the port
itself if you want to change the default options.  Take a look at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
for info on installing the ports collection and installing individual
ports.

- jim

--
jim mock <mij@{soupnazi|opendarwin}.org>               jim@FreeBSD.org