Date:      Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:20:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RAID5

On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Ronan Lucio wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a doubt about RAID5:
>
> If I have 3 HDs with 36 Gb each in RAID5, what is
> my total abaliable space?

    72GB.

> Can I select it?
> For example: Can I create 20 Gb for parity + 88 Gb of
> avaliable space?

    No.  RAID-5 stripes parity information across all three drives:

    data   data   parity
    data   parity data
    parity data   data

    etc.

    You can bump up the available space by adding more spindles (only
one stripe of a stripeset is parity), but the tradeoff is that the
parity calculations may degrade write performance when you do that.

    FWIW, I set up a 4-drive RAID-5 volume with an associated
journaling device on Solaris 8 that performs pretty well for home
directories.  I wouldn't expect vinum to be any different in that
regard, given sufficient CPU (my Solaris volume is served from a
two-CPU E450, just as a reference point).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)