Date:      Thu, 06 Jan 2005 10:26:28 -0700
From:      Danny MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        "Eugene M. Minkovskii" <emin@mccme.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail and mbox permissions

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:01:13PM +0300, Eugene M. Minkovskii wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 12:14:05AM +0100, J65nko BSD wrote:
> " On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 23:23:29 +0300, Eugene M. Minkovskii <emin@mccme.ru> wrote:
> " > Hi.
> " >
> " > I use FreeBSD 5.3 and sendmail. When root rechieve the mail,
> " > mailbox's (/var/mail/root) permission bits has been setted to
> " > 600. Who and how it does? Can I change this behavior?
> " >
> " > --
> " For security reasons, the "root" account should not receice any mail.
> " One of sendmail's alternatives "qmail" will even NEVER send any mail
> " to the root account.
> "
> " Enter an alias for root in "/etc/mail/aliases" and run the "newaliases" command.
>
> Yes, I know this reasons, but I want to know what happens. Who
> change permissions on /var/mail/root. Why I see it in FreeBSD 5.3
> and don't see in FreeBSD 5.2.1?
>
> What do you mean "don't rechive any mail?" mach daemond, mail to
> root they reports and I want easy way to reading it.

Mail for root can be delivered to any account you choose.  It doesn't
have to be delivered to the root account.  J65nko BSD suggested that
you create an alias; this would allow root's email to be delivered to
your account.  It doesn't get much easier than that.

I can't answer the rest of your questions.

> --
> Sensory  yours, Eugene  Minkovskii

I'm not sure about this, but I suspect you probably mean to say
"Sincerely yours" rather than "Sensory yours".  The former is a
common complimentary close.  The latter is ... strange :)

--
Danny