Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2007 13:46:05 +0000
From:      Pollywog <lists-fbsd@shadypond.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2-stable power management

On Monday 09 July 2007 12:43:45 J.D. Bronson wrote:
> Is there any way to verify ALL power management is disabled?
> I have totally disabled it in my BIOS and I have
> totally disabled it in the hard drives...
>
> Yet I keep hearing a drive spin down and then immediately back up
> over and over (at times).
>
> If I install a different OS on this same machine, this does not
> happen..so I am thinking something within 6.2-stable is doing this?
>
> any thoughts or ideas?

I am not having this problem with FreeBSD 6.2, which I recently installed on a
laptop in place of kubuntu and I DID have this problem with the same laptop
when it was running kubuntu.  I did not change any BIOS settings.  The laptop
would wake me up with all the noise.  With FreeBSD 6.2 the laptop stays quiet
if I leave it on overnight.

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p4 (GENERIC) #0: Thu Apr 26 17:40:53 UTC 2007