Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:57:13 -0700
From:      "darren" <darren@quantumtheorem.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Solution! Re: nvidia/4.8-stable

ok guys, since I got my system working in full, I want to share my findings.  I'm sorry if some of you might think this is a newbie approach but I had this problem, and I'm sure others will.  We arn't all X11R6 experts.

first off, one thing wrong such as syntax in your XF86Config file and your kernel crashs, so make sure you get the right syntax, follow the README in the doc directory, you can find this inside your work directory from ports

second, updateports (cvsup is fine) and make sure you have the latest of everything, I might recomend doing a recursive package delete (man pkg_delete)  I did this with all the dependencies of the dependencies,  ports doesn't check what version you have most of the time, and just that you have it.  Install the nvidia driver LAST.

third, unless you tell it to dissable hardware acceleration.  I found I crashed everytime my computer tried to access it's faster speeds. It tries to do the speeds, even if they are unavailable, I assume I needed to use this at first to stop the crashes because I didn't enable anything agp related, so if you find you are crashing and would like your hardware acceleration, try enabling your agp, that is if you have an agp card like me.

and for anyone curious, I own an nvidia tnt2 ultra.

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 08:07:18 +0100, Matthew Seaman wrote

--
An Important Member of http://www.quantumtheorem.com/ =)