Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:53:20 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   nspluginwrapper / acrobat problem (was Re: huge cpu and memory usage by ld.so ?)

On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 12:31:29PM +0200, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> On RELENG_7 (various versions between june and a few days ago) i
> noticed that sometimes ld.so starts using huge amounts of memory
> and CPU, both in terms of SIZE and RES.
>
> I saw it first on 3 different machines doing a portupgrade -a
> while X was active, but perhaps it is Xorg-related because even
> stopping portupgrade the phenomenon continues, and the Xorg process
> also comes next in terms of CPU usage (not memory though, it stays
> down to reasonable levels).
>
> This is the 'top' output during a portupgrade -a
>
>   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE  C   TIME   WCPU COMMAND
> 17385 luigi         1 107    0  2027M   220M RUN    1  19:20 51.37% ld-2.3.6.so
>
> and it really goes up with time, at perhaps 50-100Mbytes per minute.
>
> 2 of the machines use the nvidia-driver, one is a Dell X1 laptop
> with an i915 board.
> Exiting from X seems to terminate the stray ld.so.
>
> I am not sure how reproducible the thing is, or whether it is
> a known issue (perhaps portupgrade is replacing some Xorg component
> while the Xorg process is using it ?)

For the archives- i tracked the problem to be related to the use
of acrobat8 (the viewer) within firefox3 using nspluginwrapper.
What happens is that when you load a pdf document, nsplugin wrapper
runs nppdf.so

> nspluginwrapper -l
/home/luigi/.mozilla/plugins/npwrapper.nppdf.so
  Original plugin: /usr/local/Adobe/Reader8/ENU/Adobe/Reader8/Browser/intellinux/nppdf.so

which in turn, presumably, calls /compat/linux/lib/ld-2.3.6.so
to load the required libraries. What i see is that the ld-2.3.6.so binary
stays alive throughout the lifetime of the pdf document, and
when i close the tab with the pdf viewer, quite often ld-2.3.6.so does not
disappear but starts eating memory at 1-2MB per second.
I can kill ld-2.3.6.so manually, though i am just a bit unclear on
how exactly i could force the loader to go away when nppdf.so is
unloaded.

cheers
luigi