Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 01:38:35 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

> The thought occurs that something is wrong here, something fundamental that
> goes back to the advent of Linux.  I think if we can understand what that
> something is we may be able to get a grip on the issues and get FreeBSD the
> recognition it deserves.

It's pretty simple, really.  They wrote lots of stuff, we didn't.
They had a Matt Welsh, we didn't.

> Jordan has suggested that those with a penchant for writing create a
> document that defines the qualities that distinguish FreeBSD from other
> operating systems, and from the above it appears that this is long over
> due.  This document could well become the vehicle to attract the attention
> of product managers and get software ported to FreeBSD and get our just
> rewards.  Ranting to product manager after business plans have been set
> will not get it done, and is very unprofessional.

I also said that it was time for people calling for this to lead from
the front by actually presenting documents of this nature to the group
and asking for feedback rather than simply suggesting that somebody
really really really needed to get busy in writing such docs.
[Meaningful look :-)]

- Jordan