Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 1999 00:59:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        sos@freebsd.dk (Soren Schmidt)
Cc:        i.think@harrisburgacademy.org (i think), npp@swamp.dk (Nicolai Petri), multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DVD Support!!!

Soren Schmidt wrote...
> It seems Kenneth D. Merry wrote:
> > Soren Schmidt wrote...
> > >
> > > Well, the ata driver findes and probes DVD drives just fine, you can use
> > > them as well, but there is no UDF filesystem in FreeBSD (yet), and there
> > > is no special ioctl's for dealing with DVD specific things..
> >
> > Likewise, the SCSI CD driver can deal with read-only DVDs just fine.
> > Dealing with rewriteable DVD's is a little different, and requires write
> > support in the CD driver.  (It has been done, but needs a little more
> > thought/time before it goes in the tree.)
>
> Uhm, what kind of ioctl's are you going to use ?? the worm stuff is
> already here, so I hope you will be using those as that will make
> (again) a common interface to both the ATA and SCSI writers.

I haven't been using any ioctls.  DVD-RAM drives act like disks, more or
less.  They don't need fixating, or anything like that.  For drives that
need an interface more like CD-R's, cdrecord does the job fine.

> > > As the author & maintainer of the ata driver I have some interest in
> > > this, and will follow things on the side, eventually bringing in
> > > support as needed..
> >
> > Whatever we do, we should try to make sure we have a common set of ioctls
> > between the ATAPI and SCSI CD drivers.
>
> I've not looked at these patches or the linux stuff yet, but if the linux
> way is not too disgusting, I'd say we should use the same interface just
> to make our users life easier..

What do you mean by the "same"?  With the same exact ioctl numbers, names
and everything?  If the code is GPLed, that'll taint the kernel, won't it?

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org