Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 12:12:11 +1100 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        FreeBSD questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Adding memory slows down 486 to less than 386SX!

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Hr.Ladavac wrote:

> E-mail message from M. L. Dodson contained:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I just upgraded a 486DX-25 from 8MB to 20MB memory and sequential
> > character disk I/O to a SCSI disk is now slower than to an IDE disk
> > on a 386SX!
> >
> > The machine "feels" slow, also.  Not only under FreeBSD, but also under
> > Win95 (for processes that do not cause swapping).  I have included bonnie
> > Any help would be appreciated.  I'm at a loss.
> >
> > Bud Dodson
>
> How much Level-2 cache do you have on the '486 board?  Some boards could
> only cache the lower 16MB unless you had more than 128K cache.  Mine was
> one of these :(
>
> /Marino

I had a very similar problem with a 486DX33, I upgraded from 8 1MB simms
(30 pin) to 4 4MB simms and the machine slowed down to a crawl straight
away. :( Fortunately I managed to convince my employer that these 30 pins
simms were "old hat" and it would be more cost/performance effective to
buy me a pentium 100 with 16MB ram (72 pin simms) :-)

Andrew Perry
andrew@shoal.net.au