Date:      Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:46:47 -0800
From:      Mark Edwards <mark@antsclimbtree.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gnome 2 on FreeBSD 4.7p3 -- multiple issues

On Thursday, February 13, 2003, at 11:29 AM, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:

>>> I would need to see the X log to know if it's a gdm problem.
>>> However,
>>> I've never tried starting gdm under sudo.
>>
>> Well, the same behavior occurs if I just restart the machine and let
>> the script be triggered normally, so I doubt that sudo has anything to
>> do with it.  Also, I successfully started gdm many times this way
>> under
>> gnome 2.0.
>>
>> I have posted /var/log/:0.log and var/log/XFree86.0.log here:
>>
>> http://mark.antsclimbtree.com/Xlog.txt
>
> Nothing useful here.  You might try doing a forced rebuild of gdm2.
>
> Joe

I got it.  I tried switching to root, and running startx (root's
.xinitrc was set to start gnome).  I got a complaint that fontconfig
couldn't start.  Aha!

I removed /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts and reinstalled
/usr/ports/x11-fonts/fontconfig and voila!  Everything's fine, AND I
have anti-aliased fonts!  Damn, that was painful, but I guess it was
worth it.

I'm not sure what was fubar'd with fontconfig, but maybe make a mental
note of it in case someone else is upgrading to gnome2.2 and gnome
suddenly stops working.  Could have simply been corruption on my end
because of running a funky XFree86 3.3.6/gnome2 setup or something.  I
don't know and at this point I don't care, cause it works!

Thanks for your patience, Joe...

--
Mark Edwards
San Francisco, CA