Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 2020 15:29:39 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stefan Parvu <sparvu@kronometrix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11.4 / 12.2 pkg-install problems startup service

--pcp4uwoyzkhlobd2

On Thu, Dec 03, 2020 at 01:57:21PM +0200, Stefan Parvu wrote:
> >=20
> > That said because we know a lot of people have been doing that for a wh=
ile, pkg
> > has an option (off by default) HANDLE_RC_SCRIPT
> >=20
> > if you set it to true when installing your package it will start the rc=
=2Ed script
> > so you don't need to install that in your post install script.
>=20
> Let me see if I understood this right? Usually, under pkg-install POST ph=
ase there could be set some final settings=20
> after the package is extracted and copied to its destination. But placing=
 startup scripts or calling rc.d scripts from
> that POST install phase would not work. Right ? Or does it?

That is right, it would not work.
>=20
> I am asking because I want to be able to allow users to just say: pkg add=
 kdr-1.6.2-freebsd11.4-amd64.txz=20
> and thats it. The sfw will install under /opt/kronometrix and all necessa=
rily components should start automatically.
> For that I was thinking I could use pkg-install POST phase.  Do you mean =
could I set true the HANDLE_RC_SCRIPT
> variable is the pkg-install POST phase or where ?

HANDLE_RC_SCRIPT is a user/administrator setting,

pkg -o HANDLE_RC_SCRIPT=3Dyes install kdr

should do the trick.
>=20
> Or do you mean, when I manually pkg add I should set true HANDLE_RC_SCRIP=
T from command line for pkg command ?

The later

With next pkg there would be a possible cheat (workarounding the use of a n=
ew
feature) to be able to do what you ask for. via triggers

Best regards,
Bapt

--pcp4uwoyzkhlobd2

--pcp4uwoyzkhlobd2--