Date:      13 Jul 2002 23:25:49 +0200
From:      Henrik Motakef <henrik.motakef@web.de>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Where (and when) to store licenses

Hi,

A port I'm working on contains some files covered by a license (see
below) that asks to give credit by mentioning the origins of these
files "somewhere in the documentation, research report, etc..." when
one "incorporates [the] source code in one of your programs". A
thing that even the BSDL asks for, basically.

My questions:

- Do we have to give this credit, i.e. is "FreeBSD" or "the FreeBSD
  ports tree" something that "incorporates" the source files in this
  regard?

- If we give credit (which would be a nice thing even if not strictly
  necessary, IMHO), where does it go? In this case, the notice is
  included in the comments of some .h-files. Sould one of these files
  -- or just the comment containing the license -- go to, say,
  ${PREFIX}/share/doc/${PORTNAME}? There is nothing else that would go
  there, only man pages and examples. How about ${NOPORTDOCS}?

Thanks for clarification
Henrik

--------------

The port I'm talking about is btparse, a BibTeX parser
(http://starship.python.net/~gward/btOOL/).  It is mostly GPLed, some
files in an examples directory are LGPLed, and it incorporates some
files from PCCTS, the Purdue Compiler Construction Tool Set. The
latter contain the following text (which is mentioned as something to
look at in btparse's README):

 * SOFTWARE RIGHTS
 *
 * We reserve no LEGAL rights to the Purdue Compiler Construction Tool
 * Set (PCCTS) -- PCCTS is in the public domain.  An individual or
 * company may do whatever they wish with source code distributed with
 * PCCTS or the code generated by PCCTS, including the incorporation of
 * PCCTS, or its output, into commerical software.
 *
 * We encourage users to develop software with PCCTS.  However, we do ask
 * that credit is given to us for developing PCCTS.  By "credit",
 * we mean that if you incorporate our source code into one of your
 * programs (commercial product, research project, or otherwise) that you
 * acknowledge this fact somewhere in the documentation, research report,
 * etc...  If you like PCCTS and have developed a nice tool with the
 * output, please mention that you developed it using PCCTS.  In
 * addition, we ask that this header remain intact in our source code.
 * As long as these guidelines are kept, we expect to continue enhancing
 * this system and expect to make other tools available as they are
 * completed.