Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 15:24:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      freebsd@tomqnx.com (Tom Torrance)
To:        marcs@znep.com (Marc Slemko)
Cc:        bmcgover@cisco.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, JKRey@isi.edu
Subject:   Re: Re: Weird IP addresses

> On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Brian McGovern wrote:
>
> > None of the explanations are true.
> >
> > The fact of the matter is the Internic has broken down most of their
> > "Reserved" Class A, and B blocks in order to make as many C blocks as
> > possible. There was an RFC published a while back (I remember it in the
> > six month timeframe, but it may be older) that if you compare to earlier
> > address allocation RFCs, has a far fewer number of "reserved blocks".
>
> The blocks in question have not been reallocated.
>
> 111.111.111.111 and 222.222.222.222 have PTR records at the root name
> servers.  They have not been allocated and even if they were the InterNIC
> should not be placing bogus reverse DNS records in place for them.

It appears to me that they have NOT. The SPAM accounts
seem to be set up by a company called Internic Software in Australia.
The InterNIC allowed them to register a domain MINDGFX.COM with the
nameservers 111.111.111.111 and 222.222.222.222.  The InterNIC has NS
records for the above numbers.  The invalid nameservers have the reverse
DNS entries.
111.0.0.0 is allocated and administered by JKRey@isi.edu who is copied
for info on this message along with hostmaster@internic.net who will
hopefully follow up on the situation.