Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2017 22:54:46 +0000
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: vimage and ipv4 addresses

On Thu, 16 Feb 2017 at 6:22 am, Ernie Luzar <luzar722@gmail.com> wrote:

> Testing RELEASE 11.0 vimage. Using the bridge/epair method to configure
> network access for vnet jails. Issuing "ifconfig epairXb ipv4-address"
> command. A single ip address works fine, but if I say
> 10.0.10.2,10.10.10.3 I get error saying "bad value" If I issue the
> ifconfig command two times, once using each ip address then only the
> last ip address issued shows on the  epairxb ifconfig list in the vnet
> jail. Is this telling me that a vnet jail can only have a single ipv4 ip
> address? Is the syntax of the command incorrect?
>
> On the other hand doing basically the same thing with ipv6 does not work
> that way. If I issue "ifconfig epairXb int6 ipv6-address" using a single
> ipv6 ip address it works fine, but if I say fc00::2,fc00::3 I get error
> saying "bad value" If I issue the ifconfig command two times, once using
> each ip address then both ipv6 address issued shows on the epairxb
> ifconfig list in the vnet jail.
>
> Any input greatly appreciated

I believe you need to use the alias keyword to set multiple ip addresses on
an interface.

See this handbook article on how to set it in /etc/rc.conf

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/configtuning-virtual-hosts.html

See the ifconfig(8) man page for how to set it on the fly:

http://man.freebsd.org/ifconfig

Good luck!

-Ben

From: Benjamin Woods