Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 10:09:21 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printing problems with KDE

On Thursday 24 January 2002 20:33, Cliff Sarginson wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 06:44:04PM -0500, Bill Moran wrote:
> > We've got a little office network that consists of some FreeBSD
> > and some Windows computers.
> > One of the FreeBSD computers acts as a print server.  It's running
> > 4.2-R and printing via lpd works fine.  Printing through this print
> > server using Samba from the Win stations works fine as well. lpd printing
> > from a FreeBSD workstation (4.3-R) via the newtork works fine as well.
> > But I can't print anything from KDE, either locally (KDE 2.1) or on the
> > remote station (KDE 2.2).
> > I'm guessing that it's a config problem with KDE, but I can't find much
> > in the way of configuration information to tweak. The FreeBSD lpd
> > printing system seems to be set up just dandy, it's a shame KDE isn't
> > using it.
> > Any advice?
> > --
>
> Look through the menus for something like (off the top of my head)
>
> preferences/system/printing manager
>
> It's in there somewhere, I used it a couple of days ago (not in
> a position to run KDE at moment otherwise I would check for you)

For the archives ...
The solution was pretty simple.  I installed magicfilter from the packages
collection, and apparently ghostscript is not a required dependency.  Command
line printing worked fine because it wasn't using gs as a filter for simple text
files, but it seems that KDE prints everything in Postscript.
So I installed Ghostscript and all is well.
Perhaps a heads-up to the port maintainer is in order, that ghostscript should
be a dependency of magicfilter?

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technology technical services