Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 18:06:47 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Linksys PCMPC100 card problem

I'm running FreeBSD 4.2 on my laptop since it's the most recent I
could find in the shop.

I'm having problems getting the laptop (Compaq Presario 1200) to
recognise my Linksys PC-Card PCMPC100 ethernet card, though it's
supposed to work with FreeBSD.  If it's already inserted when I boot
the machine, the boot process stops after detecting the parallel port,
and the only thing I can do is reboot with ctrl-alt-del.  If I try
inserting it after booting, the machine freezes completely and
immediately (no messages from pccardd either), there's nothing I can
do except a power-off.

The PCMCIA socket is (according to Windows) a Texas Instruments
PCI-1410 CardBus.  The memory is listed by Windows as 07C0000-07C0fff
but this doesn't agree with what's allowed by the pccardc(8) manpage.
If I insert the Windows value into /etc/pccard.conf I get an "illegal
address" complaint from pccardd.

The card is not actually plugged into a network, I was just checking
whether it recognises it.  In around 10 days time, I can try a
floppy/ethernet installation of FreeBSD 4.3 and see whether I fare
better.  It seems some changes have been made to the linksys stuff
after 4.2.  In the meantime, anything else I can do?  It will really
be a big help if I can get this thing working on 4.2.

Thanks

Rahul.