Date:      Sat, 02 Jan 1999 11:08:35 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ppp "Not"

larry_nilsen wrote:

> Hi My FreeBSD Box still not Connected here is what i have
> ppp Version 1.7-$Date:1998/07/06 02:07:29 $
> pppON>show hdlc
> HDLC level errors
> FCS:0 ADDR: 0 COMMAND:0 PROTO:0
> pppON>show log
> log:Carrier CCP Chat Command Connect IPCP LCP Phase
> Tun Warning Error ALERT
> Local:Warning Error Alert
> pppON> show route
> Destination            Gateway            Flags          Netif
> 127.0.0.1                127.0.0.1           UH             lo0
> pppON>show stopped
> stopped Timer: LCP:Disabled, IPCP: Disabled, CCP: Disabled
> pppON> show modem
> device:/dev/cuaa0 speed:38400
> cs8, noparity, CTS/RTS on
> connect Count :2
> out q:387
> Dial Script= Abort Busy Abort     etc..... etc....
> login Script=
> Phone Numbers(s)= xxx-xxxx
> Connect Time :1554 secs
> 0 octets in 0 octets out
> Overall 0 bytes /sec
>
> When I Start ppp This is What I See
> pppON Circle> term
> Working in interactive mode
> Entering terminal mode
> Type ~? for help
> []                     <----- I get no response from ~? or AT nothing happens
> so ive tried +++(enter) ATE1(enter) simultaneously and still no OK!
> response I just cant get my Modem to echo back to me.Could it be that
> I have a mis-configured modem and if so how do i configure it.And
> also ive been told i might have some setup problems with my modem
> if it looks like it from the info- ive put here .How can i remedy this?
>
> I hope this information helps to Remedy my ppp Thankyou....

Hi Larry,

A Happy New Year to you.

Firstly I tried to reply to you directly but the mail bounced with
"larry_nilsen@eee.org: unrouteable mail domain "eee.org"

I haven't seen any reply to this message yet on -questions so I thought
I'd pitch in. Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, except to
say that ``Tun Warning Error ALERT'' suggests that perhaps the tun0
device is not configured correctly.

Brian Somers, who maintains the PPP code and usually responds to pleas
for help, has been missing from this list for a while now - perhaps he
has gone away for Xmas & New Year. I'm sure that when he returns he will
be able to solve your problems.

BTW, you seem to use a different Subject line when you post about this
which prevents keeping track of the problem (IIRC I've replied a couple
of times to you - albeit without providing you with a solution :-( ).
I've deleted the other threads (probably because I've assumed that
you've solved the problem). Can I suggest that you keep the same Subject
to aid keeping track of where we're up to.

Sorry that I can't be of more help. The only other thing I can suggest
is that while you wait for Brian to pitch in and help that you setup PPP
again from scratch.

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd
Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com