Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2005 17:47:49 +0100
From:      "Colin J. Raven" <colin@kenmore.kozy-kabin.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: NFS Mount Issue

Colin J. Raven wrote:

     I'm trying to mount my home directory on my office box (5.3-RELEASE)
on my home box (5.3-RELEASE) and there is _no_ _way_ I have ever been
able to make this work.

     /etc/exports on the NFS server is configured correctly (other
exports to other boxen work fine)
     my entry reads:
     /usr/home/colin -mapall root 12.34.56.789 #home IP

Output of `showmount -e` is more usefull, then we can see what is
actually exported. NFS is very sensitive to errors in exports. You
probably don't want to use "-mapall root", but rather "-maproot=root",
see exports(5). Get rid of the comment, just to be sure.

Sorry, this got lost as I was replacing my server, just managed to get
the last dregs of data off the old one.

>From /etc/exports on the office server
/usr/home/colin -maproot=root 123.45.6.789

Second: What have you set in your rc.conf? Are all things up and
running?

>From /etc/rc.conf
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_client_flags="-n 4" # Flags to nfsiod (if enabled)

from ps -aux |grep nfsiod
root       60  0.0  0.0     0   12  ??  IL   Wed11AM   0:00.00 [nfsiod
0]
root       61  0.0  0.0     0   12  ??  IL   Wed11AM   0:00.00 [nfsiod
1]
root       62  0.0  0.0     0   12  ??  IL   Wed11AM   0:00.00 [nfsiod
2]
root       63  0.0  0.0     0   12  ??  IL   Wed11AM   0:00.00 [nfsiod
3]

when - from the console as root - I do:

     mount -v office.nfs.server:/usr/home/colin /office-box

You forgot to specify '-t nfs' or use 'mount_nfs' ?

OK, I now tried mount_nfs -LT office.nfs.server:/usr/home/colin
/home/colin/office-box (line wrapped in mail client only)

I get rewarded with this message:

First try:
     [udp] office.nfs.server:/usr/home/colin: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC:
Authentication error; why = Client credential too weak

This time:
I get:
RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

quote:
Today I encounted this error for the first time. I was compiling a
kernel on my fast box and while I was waiting I set up the slow box. I
did this:

$ mount polo:/usr/src /usr/src
polo:/usr/src: RPCPROG_MNT: RPC: Authentication error; why = Client
credential too weak

That confused me. I checked /var/log/messageson the NFS server:

     mountd[95]: mount request from 10.0.0.20 from unprivileged port

Ahhh! I wasn't root when I tried to mount! I su'd to root, and all was
well.
quote-end.

Well I was root when I did it, and that didn't seem to matter.

I think it would help following an updated guide :-), I have had no
problem exporting my /home. And, then post relevant settings from
rc.conf, exports, `showmount -e` etc.

OK, I'm in the FreeBSD handbook now

PS: I note you are nfs-exporting across the internet, are you sure that
is a good idea? Consider tunneling.

I tried googling on that, I wasn't successful in finding anything
relevant to FreeBSD, most of the stuff seems to be highly Linux
specific. It's a good idea, and one I'd like to do, but first I'd just
like to be able to prove it works...then work upwards to tunneling

Just a thought here, I'm behind an ADSL router, should I be port
forwarding some-port-or-other?

This should be *so* simple, clearly I'm overlooking something - and
knowing me - something obvious.

Sorry for the delay in responding, but at least now I found my missing
mail off the dead server.

-Colin