Date:      Sat, 23 May 1998 23:24:30 -0400
From:      drifter@stratos.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Waiting for devices to complete operations

	Hi,

	Just a quick question:
	While dialing out to my ISP one night, I noticed that the
company's phones were done.  That's not the important part.  The issue
here is that I am noticing that whenever certain operations on devices,
such as ppp waiting on a connection, or a process waiting for a disk
operation to complete, it cannot be terminated or killed if you
have given up on it. Neither a ^C/^\, nor kill -TERM/-KILL from another
command line.
        Unfortunately, other than the ppp example, I don't remember
off hand a specific example involving waiting for a disk operation, but
that has happened to me to. (A ps reveals a D flag on STAT).
	I guess I am wondering if such an annoying trait is someone
predestined due to hardware constraints, or if it is more of a
software design issue. What if an "uninteruptable operation" has
failed, and you need to kill it?
	And, if it is a software design issue issue, how come it hasn't
been "fixed"?  Is such an change actually much harder than it appears?

	Thanks,

	drifter
--
drifter@stratos.nospam.net (remove nospam to send)
     "Ever notice that in every commercial about the Internet, advertising