Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2005 17:42:43 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_N=F8rgaard?= <norgaard@locolomo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: upgrading all ports

Erik N=F8rgaard wrote:

> Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
>
>> I want to do a portupgrade on all installed ports.
>>
>> What's the right way?
>>     "portupgrade -arR ?"
>>     or
>>     "portupgrade -a" ?
>>
>> I hesitate and don't want to screw up my machine.
>>
> portupgrade isn't suitable for upgrading the entire machine, even=20
> though you do recursive and Recursive.

What, in your opinion, makes it unsuitable?  I've used portugrade=20
exclusively and never had trouble.

Portmanager, on the other hand, core dumped the very first time I ran=20
it.  A send-pr was closed with a message to contact the port maintainer, =

and an email to the port maintainer never received a reply.  Didn't=20
exactly inspire my confidence.

reading /usr/ports/UPDATING.  If there are a lot to do, I tend to only=20
do a few at a time.  Nor do I ever "automate" the process by trying to=20
run it from a cronjob or similar, a) because some ports have a habit of=20
stopping to ask you questions and b) because I don't always want to=20
upgrade everything.  If something is critical to me (e.g. Mozilla) I=20
want the time to evaluate that the upgrade worked, and not have it=20
happen without me realising right in the middle of being busy with=20
something more important.

--Alex