Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:18:14 +0100
From:      Peter Gradwell <peter@gradwell.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4-RELEASE -> 4 Stable, error making tools.

Hi ya,

<newbie warning light=on>

I'm trying to upgrade from CURRENT to STABLE, having installed via ftp from
ftp.uk.freebsd.org.

So, i'm updating my sources using cvsup thus:

su-2.03# more /etc/cvsup/stable
*default  host=cvsup3.uk.freebsd.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_4
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default  compress

src-all
cvs-crypto

and then running
cd /usr/src; make buildworld

and it goes along fine until we get to:

cd /usr/src/bin/sh; make build-tools
cc -O -pipe -DSHELL -I. -I/usr/src/bin/sh -Wall -Wformat   -c
/usr/src/bin/sh/mkinit.c
cc -O -pipe -DSHELL -I. -I/usr/src/bin/sh -Wall -Wformat    -static
mkinit.o  -o mkinit
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 11

- when it stops. at the same time I get

Jun 27 13:00:45 red /kernel: pid 51781 (ld), uid 0: exited on signal 11
(core dumped)

in /var/log/messages.

- I've updated the sources and repeated this problem several times over the
last 48 hours.

Now, i've seem people saying in these lists that this error is caused due
to a hardware fault. Is this likely my problem (I hope not, it's all new!)

clues welcome.

thanks

peter

--