Date:      Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:12:29 -0600
From:      "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
To:        <absinthe@pobox.com>, "Ronald R. Perez" <ronaldp76@earthlink.net>, <ravi@cow.org>, "Jim Mock" <mij@soupnazi.org>
Cc:        "Mark Pude" <markpude@hotmail.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: /var/ is full

Yes,  the default /var is grossly undersized and can result in suprises for
newbies that don't realize how large the logs and mail spool can get on a
busy server, especially when virtual hosting.  I think the default location
for data i.e. MySQL databases is in /var/db  as well, so database
requirements should be considered.  These are things that are not obvious to
the new FreeBSD'er.

In my installation, I made a 2GB /var/log partition just for logs.  That way
if logging get's out of control the mail spool and other processes that rely
on /var are not affected.  I also made /var quite large (6GB) to handle
databases and mail spool. Of course every installation will be different
depending upon the purpose of the Server.

	-Scott