Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:06:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   recent -CURRENT and boot loader / kernel problems?

I have a Dell Latitude CPi notebook, and recently ran into some nastiness
involving the boot process.  The machine is using an April 24th world, and
up until now had been using an April 24th kernel.  Leaving aside problems
with pcm hanging the kernel at boot, things seemed to work largely fine.
Yesterday, I decided to copy over an April 28th kernel with some custom
network hackery to the notebook -- this kernel works fine on a number of
other machines.  However, when I attempted to boot the kernel, I ran into
the following problem:

ok load /boot/kernel.bad/kernel
don't know how to load module '/boot/kernel.bad/kernel'

Reverting back to an April 24 kernel seems to work fine.  Interestingly, I
also had some problems booting some other kernels from floppy -- the
kernel seemed to load ok, but then hung during the twiddling line bit of
the boot process.