Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:11:58 +0000
From:      Josh Paetzel <jpaetzel@hutchtel.net>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>, Bart Silverstrim <bsilverstrim@tsd.k12.pa.us>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: named core dump

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org> writes:
> > >
> > > Somebody is trying to get into your machine, upgrade to 8.2.3. See also
> > > ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/CERT/advisories/FreeBSD-SA-01:18.bind.asc
> >
> > And if they weren't fools, they already got root access..
>
> Okay, I've seen enough of these e-mails to want to do something about
> it.  Normally, I'd write up an FAQ entry about it, but that doesn't
> seem quite right in this case since it's so time-sensitive; i.e.,
> after a while nobody will ask this stuff (hopefully).
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on a course of action?  I'd like to
> document this somewhere we can point people at, but the FAQ doesn't
> seem the right place for it.  Besides, if someone doesn't read the
> advisories, they probably don't read the FAQ, either, so all it'd be
> is an RTFM pointer (yes, we already have the advisory, but I think
> something that answers this "code dump" question directly is in
> order).
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks,

I've been working on a FAQ for the FreeBSD-questions mailing list.
This is exactly the sort of thing that I think it would be good for.
Short lived issues that everyone and their brother asks about.  The
problem is of course as always getting people to read it.  Let me
know if you have any brilliant ideas.

Josh