Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:01:26 +0000
From:      Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
To:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: binary updating 6.0-6.2

Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 03:38:18PM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:

> What you want to do is a cvsup (Mathew Seaman recently pointed out csup
> that is supposed to be part of the system, but I don't seem to have it
> on the machine I am presently on running 6.1) so you would have to install
> cvsup from ports (/usr/ports/net/cvsup  or  /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui)
> if you need it.

You seem to be suggesting just what I wish to avoid ie all the trouble of a
complete system compile and install with a full ports rebuild. Rather than the
src build I would prefer a complete dump and iso reinstall.

I looked further into the binary update script and it seems pretty
comprehensive. I still expect to go through my ports rebuild, but perhaps I
wouldn't need to copy my files back. Even so I see comments in the 6.0-6.1
upgrade.sh like

"# XXX For some reason, /usr/lib/liblwres.so had its version bumped.
# XXX Leave behind the old version just in case."

so we end up with some minor cruft left lying about. If the ports need to be
rebuilt anyhow, I think I prefer to start from scratch.

> I just posted a basic rundown on doing this (but with slightly different
> numbers) just a couple days ago.   You might want to check the questions
> archive.    Briefly, you install cvsup (if not already installed); run
> the cvsup (or csup if you have it) using a supfile set for
>   *default tag=RELENG_6_2
> (I will append my working supfile at the end.  It is a simple one)
> Then build and install everything.
> Do this stuff in a script(1) session to preserve messages and warnings.
>
>   cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/supfile62

.......good stuff elided
--
Robin Becker