Date:      Sat, 4 Oct 2003 18:51:00 +0000
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Canon PowerShot A10 digital cam and FreeBSD 5.1

Okay, I have the abovementioned camera, which the Digikam port supports
through libgphoto2(that very camera is mentioned). When I plug the cam in,
turn it on, and set it to Playback mode, I get a kernel message acknowledging
its presence, complete with model info, on ugen2.

However, no matter how much I try to fiddle with permissions on that
device(while making sure the camera doesn't turn off), I can't get any
software to connect to it.

I've had a similar problem with my scanner, and I noticed that xsane states
NOT to have the kernel drivers loaded. However, the kernel driver for ugen is
compiled into the GENERIC kernel.

Before I recompile the source tree and kernel, is it at all possible that
keeping that driver out of the kernel(and just using kldload if I should need
it) would allow sane and libgphoto2 to work properly? This would be my first
time rebuilding the kernel, and I'm also trying to convince FreeBSD to work
with my Mitsumi ATAPI CD-R without much success, so I'm rather hesitant about
all this - though the source tree and kernel both compiled okay, I haven't
yet installed them.

-BB