Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:36:08 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Logo Contest

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:33 pm, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 08:48 pm, "Andrew L. Gould"
>
> <algould@datawok.com> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 February 2005 10:21 pm, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Beastie is losing its status as a logo.

> > > Do above attributes apply to the logo of the most successful
> > > software package known as Windows?
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.mspx
> >
> > I care about the OS's popularity only for the driver support it may
> > someday bring.  I care more about spending more time talking about
> > FreeBSD's strengths than explaining that the devil is a daemon,
> > which has both a Greek definition and is also an acronym.

> > > FreeBSD already has this image.
> >
> > Only in tight circles where it is well known.  Where I live and
> > work, it is mostly unknown.  Those who have heard of it think that
> > it's either a Linux distribution or one of those hacker tools.  You
> > know about hackers, don't you?  They're young, bright criminals
> > that create computer viruses and steal your personal identity.
>
> I'm not sure how changing the logo is going to change that
> perception. If they're lumping in all unices into h4x0rw0r1d, then do
> they even know about the logo? Some people think that because
> malicious people use nmap it shouldn't be available to anyone.
> Personally, I don't listen to such people. Why should I? Money?

Right or wrong, logos help project an image to influence decisions.
It's a marketing tool.  If you don't have a need for the influence, you
don't have a need to care.  In that case, I don't see how you should
care whether a new logo is added.  You wouldn't be affected in any
practical sense as Beastie would still be there as the mascot.

> > People fear the unknown.  Add to the unknown, add a group of people
> > that have been negatively stereotyped by Hollywood and the news
> > media, and a logo that may represent something less than wholesome.
> > I live in East Texas and work for a hospital in West Texas.  In
> > both ends of this great state, which I love dearly, I am hesitant
> > to wear my Beastie t-shirts.  Windows is king here, and anything
> > not supported by a major vendor must be a tool used by malcontents.
> >  I administer the only *nix computer at my workplace.  Since I am
> > NOT a member of the IS department, I hope you can imagine the
> > trouble I went through to get permission to use FreeBSD.  It was
> > only after turnover of key IS positions that I was able to
> > establish good working relationships with IS personnel.  Things are
> > good now; but were not always so.
>
> Would it have been easier if you had tried to get permission to use
> NetBSD instead?

If you're refering to NetBSD's new logo, it would have been one fewer
discussion.  (Four and a half years ago, I think it would also have
been the wrong OS decision!)

The point is that logos help project an image.  Yes, there are times
when Beastie can be more of a hindrance than a help.  If these issues
don't matter to you, then you will be unaffected by the addition of a
new logo.  It's an issue more important to those involved in some form
of advocacy.  FreeBSD users who don't care what other people think
either aren't involved in advocacy or need to rethink their positions.