Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 2002 14:04:47 +0100
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        "Sam Leffler" <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: status of hardware crypto support

> This is a short note about the status of my work to port openbsd's support
> for hardware crypto devices to freebsd.  I've had a patch available
> for -stable for a while that provides the openbsd kernel framework and a
> port of the device driver for various Hifn parts (e.g. 7751, 7951, 7811).
> In the past few weeks I've made major progress changing the KAME IPSEC code
> to use this framework, again in the style done by openbsd (using
> continuations to break up the input and output packet processing paths).  At
> this point I have almost all aspects of IPv4-based IPSEC tested and working.
> There are some minor issues like support of the old-style AH protocol and
> keyed- MD5 and SHA1 AH algorithms, and I have yet to do any IPv6-based
> testing.

This is excellent!

I have had a (stalled) crypto library (implemented as a loadable module)
based on the OpenBSD code for quite a while. It sounds like you are further
than me in getting to do something useful. Does your code implement the
userland-usable /dev/crypto that OpenSSL can use?

> In addition to the IPSEC work I've been talking to various hardware vendors
> about support for their products in FreeBSD.  I now have Hifn-based cards of
> various flavors, and a Broadcom card for testing.  I'm supposed to receive
> more hardware in the near future.  I will be porting drivers for each of
> these cards from openbsd.

If you want a hand with any of that, I'll be in a position to help in
a very short while (once I come out of storage in a week).

> Finally, I've been in touch with both openbsd and netbsd folks.  My intent
> is to provide a common API for in-kernel and user-mode access to hardware
> crypto support.  This will let everyone share application code (e.g. OpenSSL
> already done by openbsd) and reduce the effort required to port device
> drivers between the various systems.

Cool! (I've started doing the /dev/crypto thing, but that has stalled because
of employment issues).

> All my work so far has been in -stable, but I hope to port the work
> to -current soon.  A goal is to get the kernel crypto device framework into
> the 5.0 release.  I've been in touch with the KAME folks and will continue
> to discuss my IPSEC mods with them.

If you need a hand for CURRENT, I'll be delighted to help.

o       Mark Murray
\_
O.\_    Warning: this .sig is umop ap!sdn