Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:40:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Galt <galt@inconnu.isu.edu>
To:        Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>
Cc:        "'randy // fBSD'" <freebsd@randys.org>, "Freebsd-Questions (E-post)" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SPAM? (was Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts))

On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Per Tore Larsen wrote:

>> On 1/19/01,  Per Tore Larsen wrote:
>>=20
>> > the only way to express your self without any
>> > kind of censorship
>> Sorry, but spam is NOT a form of self expression...unless it=20
>> was done in an
>> artfull way, which 10 times out of 10 they're not.
>>=20
>> expression: The act of expressing, conveying, or representing=20
>> in words, art,
>> music, or movement; a manifestation: an expression of rural values
>>=20
>> spam usually comes from more than one person or a company=20
>> more often...that pretty
>> much rules out the self part...
>>=20
>> Just my 2=A2
>>=20
>> -randy
>>=20
>Point taken.  But how are we going to stop spam??? Well, we could let
>someone check all mail, through a global mail server looking for such

We could sue the bastards.  Idaho recently (last spring, taking effect
last summer) passed a law that makes some kinds of spamming a tort,
punishable by $1,000, $100 per occurence, or actual damages,
whichever is greater.  If there's such a law in your neck of the woods,
USE IT, if there isn't, lean on your state legislators to make one.  Let's
see if we can't hit them where it hurts: the cash box.  All it takes is
about a hundred or so trips to Small Claims, and all of a sudden spamming
doesn't seem as lucrative... =20

>keywords that spam a likeliy to have.  But if we let this happen what
>stops the goverment in stopping other mail they don't want to be sent
>to through email.
>I just don't like the thought.
>
>The more I argue I get more pissed I get at spam, they're like telemarketi=
ng
>people that calls you up to sell you some crap that you don't need.
>The only good thing about this is that your able to mess around with
>salespersons head for a while. With spam you can do that.
>
>Anyways, I guess I have had to much coffe so I will stop here.  This threa=
>is usless anyways, we argue that be both hate spam and therefor we can't
>agree.
>or something..
>
>Good morning and thanks for the coffe.
>
>PeTe

--=20
Pardon me, but you have obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a
damn.
email galt@inconnu.isu.edu