Date:      Wed, 5 Aug 1998 08:01:50 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        tom@uniserve.com (Tom)
Cc:        ken@plutotech.com, tlambert@primenet.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Heads up on LFS

> > > It looks like the SpinOS people are using LFS.  They are also using
> > > CAM.  They credit FreeBSD on their web pages.
> > >
> > > They need Linux to build and FreeBSD to boot.  8-) 8-).
> >
> > Do you have a URL?  I'm curious at least to see how they're using CAM...
>
>   I've had to dig to find it (it is called "Spin", not "SpinOS").
>
>   http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/spin/www/

Thanks for digging this out for me; I have it bookmarked at work.
If only FreeBSD supported Lina Tupple Spaces (;-) another intriging
hint at a technology to get me asked for another URL)...

The specific pages of interest are:

	http://www-spin.cs.washington.edu/commands.html

Click on "filesystems".

Then click on "Domains".

FreeBSD is not credited in the "Acknowledgements", but on:

	http://velvet.cs.washington.edu/spin/docs/overview.html

It says:

	The device driver layer of x86-SPIN utilizes code from the
	FreeBSD Operating System. For this reason SPIN has to be
	booted on a machine that has a FreeBSD file system. We get
	this by doing a minimal install of FreeBSD on the x86 machines
	where SPIN will be run. In addition we have a boot loader
	program (salboot.com) that runs either from a dos partition
	on the disk or from a floppy.

	For historic reasons x86-SPIN needs to be built on a Linux
	machine. It may be possible to build x86-SPIN in a different
	posix environment but we have not attempted this and couldn't
	provide help if you ran into problems. In order to build the
	FreeBSD portions of SPIN on Linux, some cross development
	tools are required. Sources for these tools are available as
	a single file (bsdtools.tar.gz) here at our site.

					Terry "The Human AltaVista" Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.