Date:      Sun, 12 May 2002 00:22:30 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Lord Raiden <raiden23@netzero.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Large numbers of users

On 2002-05-11 13:08, Lord Raiden wrote:
> 	Just a little forethought to something that "might" (and the keyword
> 	here is "might") happen in the near future with us.  Well actually it's
> gonna be up to me to solve this should it happen.  In the race to
> consolidate things, one that I regrettably had to go through this winter
> and pray I never have to do again, companies want more out of less.
> Therefore, if things should shift and we're required to host a mail cluster
> that has over, oh say 200,000 users, how would I effectively host a mail
> cluster if the limit of users is 65k per machine?  Is there a way to setup
> mail services that doesn't require me to have any actual user accounts on
> the machine, yet still provide mail services?

Any solution that authenticates / stores users to a "real" database
instead of /etc/master.passwd should work fine, I think.  I haven't
used something of THAT scale, but I have seen LDAP or MySQL links to
the home pages of the most popular MTAs.

Just a thought, nothing too detailed I'm afraid.

- Giorgos