Date:      Tue, 10 Sep 1996 17:30:08 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Michael O. Ljubich" <ljubich@inko.viaduk.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How install on wd2s1

On Tue, 10 Sep 1996, Michael O. Ljubich wrote:

> Hi
>
> I installed FreeBsd on secondary master (wd2)
>
> But after rebooting get the message:
>
> panic cannot mount root on wd1
>
> Why?
>
> My configuration is:
>
> Am5x86-P75 133Mhz
> 2 EIDE controlers
> 2 HDs evry 850MB
> first HD is primary master
> second HD is secondary master
> 16M RAM
>
> With best regards
>
> Michael O. Ljubich

The problem is that FreeBSD doesn't find its root partition because the
BIOS calls the second disk disk #1 (and the first one #0), while FreeBSD
calls it wd2 (and saves wd1 for the primary controller's slave). The
solution is to build a custom kernel with the following line in it:
config kernel root on wd2

However, to build a kernel, you'll have to boot your machine at least
once, so you'll have to swap disks at least for that....
You may also use the second disk as the slave on the primary controller
(if that position is open, I use it for a CD for example). That would
work with the standard kernel configuration, and the disk will be called wd1.

The third option (the easiest one to do) is simply put the root partition
on the first disk (the rest of the stuff may go on any disk). The root
parition may be as small as 20MB or so.

Good luck
Nadav