Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 13:29:49 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror)

Brett Glass said on Oct  3, 2001 at 21:18:09:
> http://www.secularislam.org/call.htm
>
> and
>
> http://www.secularislam.org/wtc2.htm

Well, it's not the first time that I've read these views, but it's the
first time I've read them expressed by Muslims.

I think it's appropriate that the authors give, as an example of a
peace-loving religion, Buddhism and not Christianity.  Christianity
has become modernised by permitting questioning of the Bible and
rejecting parts of it; if you believe the Bible is the literal truth,
not only will your views be medieval and somewhat barbaric, but they
may to large extents be self-contradictory.  Islam must start to
develop the same sort of worldview, emphasise the positive aspects of
the Koran and ignore the unpalatable parts.  It is certainly possible.
In India, starting from a few hundred years ago and to some extent
until today, strains of Islam (Sufism, etc) developed that were
strongly influenced by Hindu thought and were quite multicultural and
non-violent in nature; the tombs (dargahs) of some of these Sufi
saints are, even today, pilgrimage centres for both Muslims and
Hindus.  The most famous is that of Khwaja Moinuddin Chisti in
Ajmer.

I admire Buddhism because its founder encouraged questioning and
scepticism from the start, did not talk about God, discouraged
rituals, worship and belief in miracles and omens, and emphasised only
correctness of one's actions and compassion towards other living
creatures.  I'm particularly astonished that, 2500 years ago, he
rejected astrology; at that time, not much was known of modern science
and astronomy, and for all anyone knew the stars could indeed have
been up there to guide our lives.  But the Buddha found the
metaphysical objections to this sufficient to reject it.  He said that
it is only our actions that determine the future, and not the stars or
omens or prayers.  Today in the 21st century, it is still hard to
persuade the majority of the world's people of this.