Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 21:32:56 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org (FreeBSD SCSI hackers)
Subject:   Re: Getting Pioneer CD changer to work

As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> Wilko Bulte wrote...
> > As Kenneth D. Merry wrote ...
> > > Wilko Bulte wrote...
> > > > > >

> > > I'm not surprised at all that a 1542A wouldn't work.  I think Warner said
> > > something about it not working very well.
> >
> > "Not very well" seems to be an understatement, at least on my box. Ah well,
> > it served me well for years but it is showing it's age I suppose.
>
> You might talk to Warner <imp@village.org> and see what he has to say about
> the 1542A.

I might do so when I get the the Pioneer working a bit better. It's
probably time to drag out the ol' oscilloscope to see what the signals
look like. After figgling a bit more with the "don't touch me, not user
adjustable" screws it appears to work reasonable now. Not that I really
trust it ;-)

> > 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> > Apr  8 00:30:05 p100 /kernel: (cd5:isp0:0:5:5): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> > Apr  8 00:30:05 p100 /kernel: (cd5:isp0:0:5:5): Invalid command operation
> > code
> > Apr  8 00:30:05 p100 /kernel: (cd5:isp0:0:5:5): fatal error, failed to
> > attach to device
> > Apr  8 00:30:05 p100 /kernel: (cd5:isp0:0:5:5): lost device
> > Apr  8 00:30:05 p100 /kernel: (cd5:isp0:0:5:5): removing device entry
> >
> > The 2 last entries are CD discs the drive seems to hate. If I move 'm around
> > in the magazine the problems move with them. As these are (literally..)
> > scratch CDs I'm gonna get a couple of fresh ones tomorrow. Plenty of
> > old but factory fresh marketing promo CDs around ;-) Mind you, I still

Which worked. The new CDs are being read and cycled thru load/unload by
a shell script as I write this.

> FWIW, Justin and I have been talking about making the CD and DA drivers
> attach to devices "no matter what", for the most part.  (unless they say
> something like "logical unit not supported")

To be honest I never saw the point in doing a READ CAPACITY etc on a CD
drive. If it responds to an inquiry OK, does not produce sense codes
like hardware error I'd conclude we have a working drive on our hands.
But that might be too simplistic.

> > I bumped the timeout to 120000 (ugh) 'cause the drive takes a considerable
> > time to 'inventory' the magazine. Especially when errors occur a long
> > timeout seems to be needed.
>
> You shouldn't need to do that unless it really does take 2 minutes to probe
> each lun.  Once the changer code in the CD driver sees a CDROM device on a
> LUN other than 0, it assumes that it is a changer.
>
> That means that the probing should happen sequentially, not in parallel.
> So your timeout should be the time it takes for one LUN to probe, not all
> of them.

OK. I just went back to the driver. I put the original driver in the tree
again and just added the 0xb0 ASC the drive reports during probe when no
magazine/cds are loaded. I left all the timeouts alone for now.

Will test this later tonight when it has completed a complete magazine
test cycle.

> You can put a quirk entry in the CD driver to make sure the CD driver sees
> even LUN 0 as part of a changer, but I don't think it'll have any noticable
> effect on the way things work.

It has no problems detecting the 6 LUNs.

> > A mount of a plain iso9660 cd produced a new interesting message:
> >
> > Apr  8 00:52:46 p100 /kernel: (cd3:isp0:0:5:3): READ TOC/PMA/ATIP {MMC
> > Proposed}. CDB: 43 60 0 0 0 0 0 0 4 0
> > Apr  8 00:52:46 p100 /kernel: (cd3:isp0:0:5:3): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> > Apr  8 00:52:46 p100 /kernel: (cd3:isp0:0:5:3): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:20,0
> > Apr  8 00:52:46 p100 /kernel: (cd3:isp0:0:5:3): Invalid command operation
> > code
> >
> > Makes me wonder, especially because the Pioneer firmware claims to be CCS
> > only. There is a little dipswitch claiming to select SCSI-2 mode but it
> > does not have any obvious effect. I guess this is a pre-SCSI-2 firmware rev
> > and it does not have the standard SCSI cmds for optical devices. They were
> > introduced in SCSI-2 IIRC. Really a funky piece of hardware ;-)
>
> Yeah, definitely makes me wonder.  I wonder how you get the table of
> contents off the thing, since that is the standard CDROM TOC command that
> should work on most any CDROM..

'Most any' appears to be the right term for it ;) I'll experiment a bit
more. Just go a solid system lockup by running a 'dd if=/dev/rcd0a' and
a 'mount /dev/cd1a ...' at the same time. Only ping still works. Hmm.
More testing to do I guess

Groeten / Cheers,
Wilko