Date:      Sat, 20 Sep 1997 22:52:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: >8 char usernames going into 2.2.5?

> >> 	I'm a firm believer in backwards compatibility, and I
> >> understand the importance of supporting things that have "always
> >> worked."  However the rc* changes that are being made in the 2.2 branch
> >> seem like a pretty big change to me, much bigger than what we're
> >> talking about with the length of usernames.
> >
> >Bullocks.
>
> 	I'd appreciate it if you stuck to the facts, and leave the
> hostility in your little corner of the world.

I'd appreciate if you stuck to the facts, and not spread dis-information
around.

> >1) You don't have to use the rc changes, and the system will work
> >   *FINE*, w/out any modification (and with them).
>
> 	There are several nasty surprises if you don't update the files
> in /etc (especially the rc* files) depending on your setup.  For
> instance you can't make the world if you don't update group, and
> rc.firewall has changed a lot.

And your point is?

> There are some other changes to ipfw
> that make it incompatible with 2.2.2 kernels.

And your point is?

> Things will probably
> work for most people if you don't make the changes, but to assume that
> everything will work "fine" for everybody even if they don't make the
> changes is both foolish and dangerous.

None of the changes to rc.* are required.  *NONE*

If you want to build the world, add one line to /etc/group.  But, you
don't even have to build the world to update.  If you want to update
'normally', then sysinstall will do it for you.

> >2) Programs that once worked will still continue to work (see above),
> >   but with the username changes, programs that worked fine under a
> >   previous release will now corrupt your system files /var/run/*tmp.
>
> 	Maybe this is one of those programmer things, but I'm obviously
> missing something here.  If the change is made, won't the corresponding
> changes in *tmp be made too?

Yes, but old binaries don't change.  Your popper daemon, xterm, top, and
*tons* of other programs use the old (shorter) definitions.

> I keep hearing that all that is needed is
> to make the changes in the two source files, then make the world.
> After that is done, it seems that all of the system binaries, files,
> etc. would understand the new format, yes?

All the system binaries are updated, but almost any 'working' system
uses more than the system binaries.

> >programs) will need to be re-compiled/re-installed.  It's a 'big deal',
> >although it's a simple change.
>
> 	At least some of which would have to be recompiled anyway.

A very minor few.

> 	Once again, the hostility is not necessary.  Also, I resent you
> assuming that I'm lazy, given that *I* don't need 16 char usernames.

Then don't go off telling everyone that it *should* be done, when you
have absolutely no idea what it affects.  It's not hostility that I'm
showing, merely frustration that you were told 'no', and yet w/out
knowing the facts or what it affects, you still continue to whine about
it.

My response to you used the exact same tone you used on the list, so if
you perceive it as hostile, better go check how you respond first.

Nate