Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 07:46:23 -0400
From:      "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Stephen McKay" <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Subject:   Re: NFS corruption

>I ran 'make -j2 buildworld' and several hours later observed unusual error
>messages complaining about garbage in .depend files.  Many .depend files
>were affected.  Each .depend file was broken similarly.  They would start
>normally, then the corruption would start on a page boundary (multiple of
>0x1000), but *not* extend as far as the next page boundary.  The corruption
>was either C source, or C preprocessor output overwriting the normal
contents.

I have similar results, on 2.2.6-STABLE.  I have also in the past seen the
.depend's full of nulls.

The only major difference is that my entire .depend is preprocessor output,
and not just a page-worth.

Mounting with nfsv2 seemed to have fixed that problem, but then I ran in to
dead .nfs* files being left around, which caused grief elsewhere.  I haven't
been able to build over NFS since at least March, possibly even January or
February.

Evan