Date:      05 Apr 2002 13:15:30 +0200
From:      Thomas Gellekum <tg@melaten.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        "Camille Zavala" <litperl@hotmail.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   teTeX port (Re: bug in noweb 2.9a port under 4.5-stable)

I've taken Norman off the Cc: line, this is no longer a noweb issue
per se.

"Camille Zavala" <litperl@hotmail.com> writes:

> >Well, your noweb-2.9a-bug.nw works fine for me (teTeX, noweb-2.10a
> >(I've upgraded the port, BTW), icon-9.4.0).
>
> good news!  well, sorta.  i deinstalled and then reinstalled but get a
> latex error because it can't find noweb.sty.  here's what i did:
[...]
> sure enough, there's no noweb.sty file anywhere in the
> /usr/local/share/texmf tree.  noweb's pkg-plist file says it's in
> {/usr/local/]share/noweb/tex/noweb.sty, but tetex wants it to be in
> /usr/local/share/texmf somewhere by default.
>
> so there's still a bug in the noweb installation: the noweb.sty and
> nwmac.tex files don't get hooked into the local texmf directory tree.

The noweb port doesn't depend on teTeX by default, and I didn't want
to install noweb's macro files into the nonexistent texmf/ tree. I've
always relied on the users to do it themselves. However, diskspace is
cheap nowadays, so I could add the dependency.

I'd like another change in the teTeX port first, though: I want to
enable support for a `local' texmf tree (TEXMFLOCAL variable in
texmf.cnf), so additions like noweb.sty could be put somewhere below
${PREFIX}/share/texmf.local and won't clutter the distributed texmf/.

This will also allow us to install newer versions of other (La)TeX,
BibTeX, etc. packages without clobbering the original teTeX
tree. Putting the newer stuff directly into texmf/ will do all kinds
of bad things to FreeBSD's package handling tools.

Opinions?

tg