Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 19:04:25 +0200
From:      Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
To:        Kim Scarborough <sluggo@unknown.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting rid of userland junk

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 10:11:30AM -0500, Kim Scarborough wrote:
> I'd like to strip FreeBSD down as much as possible on a few boxes. I have=
 all
> the stuff I don't want, like sendmail, ssh, and uucp, disabled in make.co=
nf,
> so the buildworld doesn't bother with them, which is good... but is there=
 an
> easy way to figure out what I can delete now? There seems to be no good w=
ay to
> actually remove these components; one can only stop them from being updat=
ed.
> Is there a master packing list somewhere, or do I just need to navigate
> through all the Makefiles?

Well, you could do an installworld and then go through the various system
directories like /bin, /usr/bin etc. to see which files have changed and
which didn't - obviously the ones that didn't will not be needed anymore.
ls -ltr is a handy tool, find(1) should also be able to help you.

I've been doing this on a semi-regular basis with my tracking of -STABLE;
there's a lot of cruft left over if you don't do something like this.

HTH,

--Stijn

--=20
The right half of the brain controls the left half of the body.  This means
that only left handed people are in their right mind.

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O

--zx4FCpZtqtKETZ7O--