Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2012 02:03:26 -0500
From:      "illoai@gmail.com" <illoai@gmail.com>
To:        "S.N.Grigoriev" <serguey-grigoriev@yandex.ru>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to update ports tree indexes when using svn

On 10 December 2012 09:39, S.N.Grigoriev <serguey-grigoriev@yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> after the security announcement (http://www.freebsd.org/news/2012-compromise.html) I use svn to update my local ports tree. I've found out that the port index is not updated. What is the preferred/recommended way to update port indexes when using svn?

make index does take a good 20 minutes on a dual core machine,
but it's not strictly needed, as
pkg_version -vl"<"
(or pkg version -vl"<" if you're using the new pkg system)
work well, albeit more slowly than if they had an index
(as in pkg_version -vIl"<")
portmaster doesn't require an index to update stuff.  I can't remember
if portupgrade does.

The index can be [re]built at your leisure while other
things are going on (such as rebuilding out-of-date ports),
if you don't mind the additional CPU & IO load.