Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 04:36:31 +0200
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        "stop here. start everywhere." <feedback@phpStop.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. Linux

> Hi all again,
>
> Speaking of this subject again, I have read in the archives that FreeBSD
> has a method of building the whole source tree using the "make world"
> command. Although this is a nice feature, but isn't too much risky to
> upgrade the whole system in one shot?
>
> What if something breaks down after you've recompiled? Your system would
> be dead. In Linux, on the contrary, there's no such feature and you'll
> need to take the server anyways to upgrade it, which seems as a good way
> of doing things. In the meantime, another backup server can take its
> position. I guess in this fashion, Linux is better than FreeBSD... or
> did I miss something here?

The make world is done in two steps: first is everything compiled to
/var/obj, then everything is installed.

Per definition production servers run freebsd-stable, which by definition
are never broken :-).
By definition freebsd-current are not for production and are allowed to be
broken.

You could compile on a testserver; when you are satisfied it works, you can
install other servers from that via nfs.

I have updated servers while they were online without problems.

An OS shouldn't limit you from taking the risc of shooting yourself in the
foot if you feel you have a legitimate reason to do so.

Leif