Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 05:17:50 +0000
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot manager...

John Von Essen wrote:

> Im curious about something. On my machine, the freebsd boot manager
> displays something like:
>
> F1 FreeBSD
> F2 DOS
> F5 Drive 1
>
> Nothing will boot on F5, its just an extra drive I use for my /usr
> mount. Question is... is it possible to change that "Drive 1" label to
> something else? If so, I would like to know how to do it. Thanks...

Sorry, John, unless you want to edit the source yourself - you can't.

The FreeBSD Boot Manager is famous for being pretty inflexible and not
configurable. Essentially, it does the job it's supposed to do with
minimum fuss.

All that is happening is the the manager is realising you have an extra
drive and is giving you the opportunity to have a go at booting it.

If you want to be able to configure your boot to your heart's content -
you might want to check out boot managers from the Linux world like
GRUB. I think they may be in the ports collection....

Best of luck.

Andrew.