Date:      Sat, 22 Mar 2003 10:04:44 +0000
From:      ksh@attbi.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Update / make world / stable

I'm currently running 4.7 Stable.

I noticed two patches became available which are
FreeBSD-SA-03:06.openssl.asc
FreeBSD-SA-03:05.xdr.asc

Instead of applying the patches ( patch < file.patch ) in /usr/src
I went ahead and just cvsup'd to RELENG_4 to get the most current
STABLE sources.

I then went ahead and issued a "make buildworld" & "make installworld"

My questions are:

1. I did not reboot the system at all.  Are all my binaries stable?
2. I did not rebuild a kernel since the kernel I am using is heavily
   modified.  Is this bad? Should I expect any future problems?
3. If these steps are wrong, how would one go about updating his/her machine
   to stable sources WITHOUT rebooting?

Thank You
-John
ksh[at]attbi.com